News

Taxpayers ‘will not pay for disgraced Andrew’s legal fees’ after Palace move

Buckingham Palace will not let the British public fund Andrew’s legal bills, source claims.

The British public will not have to “foot the legal bill” for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his arrest, it has been claimed. Andrew, who is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested, was held in custody for around 11 hours on Thursday before he was released under investigation by Thames Valley Police.

He was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and the arrest took place after allegations were made against him following the release of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein. Now, new reports claim Buckingham Palace will take extra steps to ensure the taxpayer does not pay a single penny for the disgraced royal.

It is claimed that if Andrew is unable to pay for his own legal representation, the financial burden “will not fall on the public purse,” a source told The Telegraph.

andrew with a police officer

Andrew was arrested on Thursday (Image: AP)

It is unclear where the Royal Household will find the money, with some sources making clear that King Charles would not contribute to his brother’s bills.

The newspaper reports that lawyer Gary Bloxsome could end up defending the former duke in court as he is “the only man still by his side”.

Mr Bloxsome is a criminal defence solicitor who was taken on by the former Duke of York in 2020 when the FBI was circling with questions about his friendship with the convicted sex offender.

It was dubbed an “inspired hire” because, even if Andrew’s friends and associates have now distanced themselves from him, Mr Bloxsome “stood firm”.

The lawyer was very recently seen visiting Royal Lodge before Andrew was whisked away to Norfolk three weeks ago.

A source said: “Who else would he possibly call on? He’s a criminal lawyer. This is Gary’s speciality, there is no better man for the job.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested On Suspicion Of Misconduct

Andrew was released after being held for 11 hours (Image: Getty)

“It wouldn’t make any sense for him [Mr Mountbatten-Windsor] to go anywhere else. He knows all the history and they have a good relationship.”

Andrew was detained on his 66th birthday over allegations he shared sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations after emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show Andrew sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with the disgraced financier.

He was pictured slouching and looking drained and exhausted in the back of a vehicle as he left Aylsham police station in Norfolk on Thursday evening.

He arrived back at Sandringham later, his car sweeping past waiting journalists.

It is understood that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace had been informed before the arrest on Thursday morning.

At around midday, Charles released a statement in which he said the police “have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

Andrew has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *