A court overturned an injunction for the migrants to leave the hotel after the Home Office intervened.
Protesters gathered outside of the Bell Hotel after a court quashed the injunction. (Image: Getty)
Migrants living at the Bell Hotel were “pleased” after a court ruled they didn’t have to move. On Friday, the Home Office won a legal appeal, meaning the building can continue to house the 138 asylum seekers living there. Residents of Epping, who had been demonstrating outside the hotel for weeks to have it closed, protested outside the migrant accommodation after the ruling, warning it may lead to “civil unrest.”
Somani Hotels, which owns the property, and the Home Office sought to challenge a High Court ruling which would have prevented asylum seekers from being housed there beyond September 12. Responding to this, one migrant in his 30s, who had been told not to speak to the public or leave his hotel room, told The Telegraph: “I am pleased. It had been a worry.” However, the mood among residents gathered in protest outside the hotel stood in stark contrast.
Migrants will now be allowed to continue living in the hotel. (Image: Getty)
Richard Brace, 60, a carer for a relative who has lived in the Essex town all his life took to the streets in protest of the ruling on Friday. “We’ll keep protesting,” he told the Express.
“Whether it’s going to change anyone’s mind is another matter. But we will be here every Thursday and Sunday, and whatever days in between.”
“The ruling went against the public’s wishes”, he added. “It’s going to cause disruption; it’s going to cause bad feeling.”
There will “definitely” be civil disorder, the local said. “I’ve got a feeling this is the way we’re heading.”
Carmen, who wore a pink top that said “Pink Ladies Say, The Only Way is Epping, Send Them Home” on it, also attended the demonstration. She said “today’s ruling is just devastating, absolutely devastating. It will probably cause civil unrest”.
“It’s shocking, it’s like they’ve won. The schools go back next week – the kids will be walking around the back, it’s not good,” she added.
Protests have taken place outside of numerous migrant hotels. (Image: Getty)
Essex Police implemented two Section 14s of the Public Order Act 1986 which ordered anyone outside of the hotel to leave by 9.30 and a group gathered on the High Road to leave by 10pm. Both were adhered to.
An Essex Police spokesman said: “We’re aware that a group which had come to Epping after attending a protest in Cheshunt remain in the area and we’ve now put in place a dispersal order which will run until 6am tomorrow morning, Saturday 30 August. The order covers the area shown on the map.
“This means anyone who is suspected of committing, or being intent on committing, antisocial behaviour can be asked to leave the area by officers. If they do not, they face being arrested.”