News

Conscription plans cause riots in the streets of major city with soldiers attacked

The protests come amid ongoing tensions over legislation that could force members of the ultra-Orthodox community to serve in the Israeli military.

Israel Mideast Wars Ultra Orthodox (26046599573211)

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men clash with police after two female Israeli soldiers were injured (Image: AP)

Violent clashes erupted in the ultra-Orthodox city of Bnei Brak, just east of Tel Aviv, as thousands of protesters took to the streets to oppose proposed conscription laws. Video footage from the scene shows two female IDF soldiers being hurried away by police as crowds of men chased them through the city.

Authorities reported that 26 individuals, including the soldiers and responding officers, were directly caught in the initial surge of the mob. In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the attacks, describing the rioters as an “extreme minority.” Posting on X, Netanyahu said: “I strongly condemn the violent riots in Bnei Brak against female IDF soldiers and Israel police officers. This is an extreme minority that does not represent the entire haredi community. This is a grave and unacceptable matter.”

Israel Mideast Wars Ultra Orthodox (26046599718857)

Israeli police officers confront ultra-Orthodox Jewish men (Image: AP)

The protests come amid ongoing tensions over legislation that could force members of the ultra-Orthodox community to serve in the Israeli military.

Many in Bnei Brak have staged repeated demonstrations, insisting that full-time religious study is their highest duty and objecting to mandatory enlistment.

The violence escalated on Sunday, with authorities reporting at least 23 arrests. Protesters destroyed a bus, set police motorcycles on fire, and overturned a patrol vehicle.

Reports from Ziratnews confirmed that three police officers were injured, while broadcasters Roi Yanovsky and a second journalist were attacked while reporting.

Mr Netanyahu added in his post: “We will not allow anarchy, and we will not tolerate any harm to IDF servicemen and security forces who carry out their duties with dedication and determination.”

His remarks highlighted the government’s determination to uphold law and order amid the unrest.

Roughly 1.3 million ultra-Orthodox Jews make up about 13% of Israel’s population. Broad exemptions from military service for this community have long been a source of controversy, and the proposed changes have reopened deep societal divides.

The issue has gained even greater sensitivity during Israel’s ongoing conflict with Gaza.

The unrest in Bnei Brak coincided with reports of continued violence in Gaza, where hospitals said at least 11 Palestinians had been killed in Israeli strikes over the previous 24 hours. Among the dead were five men in their 20s, killed in Khan Younis, according to Nasser Hospital.

The Israeli military confirmed that it had carried out multiple strikes in response to several ceasefire violations near the Yellow Line.

Tel Aviv District Commander Sargaroff stated that the soldiers had not coordinated their visit beforehand, while IDF Chief of Staff Zamir reached out to the targeted commanders. Police later noted they cannot easily manage IDF entry into these neighbourhoods following such intense friction.

Police and security forces continue to maintain a heavy presence near Jabotinsky Street, attempting to prevent further violence as protesters continue to block transport routes. Observers warn that unless a resolution is reached, future protests could turn even more violent.

LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *